POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : array mixed crashes in parser : Re: array mixed crashes in parser Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:03:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: array mixed crashes in parser
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Jul 2019 07:05:01
Message: <web.5d27176b3c87cc694eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"TreeLimb Jim" <all### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> What I am up to is modeling the ARP 2500 modular synthesizer.
>
> https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/arp/2500-r167/
>
> Instead of planting arbitrary knob positions and the matrix switch panels for
> every instance of module, I used some data abstraction. An entire System is a
> dictionary, divided into one or more cabinets filled with info on the modules'
> state.

Excellent.   You're completely psychotic.
I like that in a POV-Ray user.   :D

Also keep in mind that vectors can be up to 7 elements long.
And instead of strings, you can store colors as rgb vectors.
And "save" those vectors in #declared constants.
#declare White = <1, 1, 1>;
Then those words are vectors, not strings.

and if you really needed to store strings, but for whatever reason couldn't, you
could do something like:

#declare _one = 1;
#declare _two = 2;
#declare _three = 3;

#declare Label = array [3] {"One", "Two", "Three"};
and then access the Label element with a "named" value:

#declare SliderLabel = Label [_two];

Just some random pre-coffee ideas that may or may not have any real value.
Hoping to see some of your WIP's   =)