POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2
From: jr
Date: 18 Jan 2019 12:35:06
Message: <web.5c420d0dfee67a6948892b50@news.povray.org>
hi,

thank you for the detailed/informative reply.

> >   and what about (SDL) platform agnosticism?  ...
>
> That may be the case; ... You're inevitably leaving the
> territory of where you can pack up a scene and its accompanying files,
> carry it to another computer, unpack it there and expect it to render.

unfortunate but true.

one (Tcl's) approach is to have platform and architecture stuff in a single
(associative) array.

> The `cmap` stuff will apply to all of the above, if that's what you're
> talking about.

that was part of my concerns.

> "One parameter to rule them all" - no, not a fan. We're not doing that
> for any other object either, so why should we for `text`?
>
> That would, as a last consequence, lead to abominations like the following:
>      sphere { parameters }
> Is that what you want? I highly doubt it.
> We can discuss a syntax like this:
>      #declare MyFont1 = font { sys "Times New Roman" italic }
>      #declare MyFont2 = font { ttf "arialbd.ttf" }
>      text { MyFont "Hello World" ... }
>
> especially since it would come in handy for some other font-related
> features I envision for the future, such as accessing font metrics.

personally, I'd like that.  (particularly if it were a {key value} style list.
:-))

and yes regarding the import/value of remaining consistent (across objects).

> And finally, if you need a "one parameter to rule them all" syntax,
> there's always the possibility to write a corresponding macro.

regards, jr.