POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 : Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 Server Time
11 May 2024 21:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Oct 2018 04:10:01
Message: <web.5bb86d36307ceb10a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> No, the effect of a single force it is just a single rotation, with an
> arbitrarily oriented axis.
>
> You may have to snap out of the Euler angles picture for this. Euler
> angles are good for describing "rotations" as in "transformations", but
> they're of no use for properly describing "rotations" as in "continuous
> motion".

Hmm.
You may be onto something there, after all. Before I become TOO stubborn and set
in my ways, I'll try... a single rotation axis. So, my *latest* POV-Ray
animation theory would then be:

1) Make an oddly-shaped object (not just a cube or cylinder). The Stanford
Bunny? A giant chicken?

2) PRE-apply a random/arbitrary rotation to the object-- just once, prior to the
animation-- to mix things up a bit

3) choose another arbitrary axis for the animation, and let it spin.

(I did neither 2) nor 3) for my posted animation.)

I'll give that a go, to see what happens.