POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 : Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 Server Time
5 May 2024 04:39:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Oct 2018 12:10:01
Message: <web.5bb63a6f307ceb10a47873e10@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Well here is my tuppence worth.
> I think that it is the ratio of the rotations that makes 3 axes look
> odd. in this animation the X axis rotates 3 times for one rotation of
> the Z axis and the Y axis rotates twice.
> The LH dice is rotating on 2 Axis, X&Y the RH one in all three.

I have to admit that they do look 'smoother' than mine.

But to my eyes, it looks like the LH dice has 3-axes(!), and the RH dice *maybe*
has only two(?). I'm seeing the LH dice 'reverse rotation' every now and then.

Could you post the respective clock rotations for both? I'd like to try them
out.

Did you use
rotate <x,y,z>?

Or something like
rotate...
rotate...
rotate...

?

To your point about the ratios: Just conjecturing, I would say that keeping the
rotations to set ratios (whatever thay may be) in order to get smoothness in the
result, sounds like invoking "special rules"-- when the original cause of the
rotations (the original impinging force in the 'real world') may not be so
accomodating ;-)  The original applied vector force may have wildly different
ratios for its 3 de-composed axis-aligned forces-- naturally resulting in
different ratios between the 3 POV-ray rotation amounts. (OR two final rotation
amounts, re: Euler???)

But as a *practical* matter, maybe you're on to something! At least the RH dice
(die?) does *look* smoother.

My two-cents worth ;-)