POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:50:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Sep 2018 16:10:00
Message: <web.5b8af1f9c46e580da47873e10@news.povray.org>

> The plan is as follows (for Windows at any rate):

Thanks for the excellent description and detail of the various releases and what
they mean. You probably posted some of this before (but which had not yet
impinged on my brain, I admit).

> (C) Beta Releases
> =================
>
> In order to allow for installing a beta release while also keeping an
> earlier final release of the same generation (e.g. v3.7.0 proper and
> v3.7.1-beta.1), beta releases are intended to live in their own happy
> place, without interfering with any non-beta versions (but replacing or
> interfering with other betas of the same generation).
>

> (D) Development (Alpha) Releases
> ================================
>
> While all of the above come with an installer...

I'm still just a little confused about this: I have an older 3.7.1 beta
release...
             3.7.1-beta.4+msvc14.win64
.... that *AFAIK* is supposed to be installed into "an existing 3.7.0 binary"
(piggybacked, in other words.) I just tested this again, and the scheme works.
But that seems to go against the idea that betas always(?) come with their own
installer. Sorry to throw a small monkey-wrench into the discussion, but this
particular situation is a bit mysterious. Or maybe I'm simply misreading your
beta release info.

BTW, my idea of using only ONE 'master' POVRAY.INI file for *all* releases was
rather half-formed; sorry about that. I had a panicky notion that there were
*multitudes* of those INI files in various places, that had to be dealt with--
but of course that's not the case. (On my system, there are only two-- for my
3.7 and 3.7.1 beta 9 installs.) In any case, for such a scheme to work, I would
need to make the one master file, place it *somwewhere* (permanently), then make
Windows  'shortcuts' to place into the respective POV-Ray 'bin' folders. Being
the curious person that I am, I actually tried that. It doesn't work (as I
suspected) but I'm wondering why. Are 'non-functioning' shortcuts a general
Windows limitation for ALL such 'configuration files', or is it something
specific to POV-Ray by design? I'm certainly no expert about this stuff, which
is why I ask.