POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 Aug 2018 22:20:01
Message: <web.5b89f5afc46e580da47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I re-checked my POVRAY.INI file to make sure it has the correct library
> path for image output; it's still correctly set to...
>
> Output_File_Name="C:/Users/Computer/Documents/Kens POV-Ray rendered IMAGES/"

Well, I found the problem: Human Error (as usual!)

With my WORKING v3.7.1 beta 9 version, I had *changed* the name of my
image-output folder to...

Kens_POV_Ray_rendered_IMAGES

.... which is the currently correct one.

..... and likewise for the image-output library path in its own POVRAY.INI
file...
Output_File_Name=C:\Users\Computer\Documents\Kens_POV_Ray_rendered_IMAGES\

Note the added underscores (and the no-longer-needed double-quotes, since there
are no longer any spaces in that library path.) So everything works fine in beta
9!

HOWEVER, the new 3.8.0 alpha 'engine' was loaded into my older 3.7 folder (which
is the correct placement)-- but the POVRAY.INI file for *v3.7* was using my OLD
library path (the one that I *thought* was correct, the one with no underscores
etc.) I had forgotten to change that INI file to the newer library path for my
output images.

SO... it turned out to be a library-path problem after all. Duh. I updated that
'bad' path, and all is well. Sorry for the trouble and confusion.

A question, though: In testing out alphas, betas, etc., OR while running the
original 3.7.0, should I make ONE master POVRAY.INI file and always use that, no
matter what program version I'm running? Up until now, I've always thought that
each version should keep its own INI file intact. (Uh, which obviously led to my
problem!)