POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interconnected blurb : Interconnected blurb Server Time
7 May 2024 00:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Interconnected blurb
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Jul 2018 21:50:02
Message: <web.5b5d1d10b49e402c458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
So, I just spent some time trying to relax my mind, stretch it, and think about
some of the programming projects I'm dabbling with before writing more code and
another 100 nested, translated functions.

Having dabbled with a bit of math that could be done using quaternions, and
being interested in some of the theories concerning particle physics, gravity,
charge, mass, etc - the following article piqued my interest:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-octonion-math-that-could-underpin-physics-20180720/
Which "naturally" led to John Baez's site (there's always so much that leads
there)
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/octonions/integers/integers_1.html
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/
and that intersected with the spiral/vortex/warp search I was doing to lead to:
https://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2016/10/07/kosterlitz-thouless-transition/

which led me to "phase portraits" of differential equations
https://imgur.com/gallery/icp09

Using, enjoying, and grappling with POV-Ray, it becomes clearer that:
In the absence of a sophisticated modeler, some programming skill is required.
To do many things with programming, it's always easier with math(s), or some
formulas or macros that "do the math".
Working in a high-level uncompiled language makes this slow.
Visualizing the results with a raytracer makes it - slower.

I also came across:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/mathematicians-tame-turbulence-in-flattened-fluids-20180627/
http://www.algorizk.com/windtunnel/overview/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/suspension/id488542342?mt=8

The last may be a fun toy that will help process things "in the background".

Lastly, for today, I give you:

The Mistakes I Made As a Beginner Programmer
Learn to identify them, make habits to avoid them
https://edgecoders.com/the-mistakes-i-made-as-a-beginner-programmer-ac8b3e54c312

This was a good read.   Being self-taught, I'm glad to see that I do some of
these things already, foresaw and learned ways to to do them myself, and have
begun experimenting with others.

There are also a lot of things in there that I could/should probably look into
learning. Some of the terms and jargon made it hard to follow, but no worries.