POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Origin of Yankee : Re: Origin of Yankee Server Time
9 May 2024 18:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Origin of Yankee
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Jul 2018 15:10:02
Message: <web.5b3bc9c7c2b82bdf458c7afe0@news.povray.org>

> The reference to gunners is interesting: Maybe early tools to wipe
> ("wash"?) the bore of a cannon featured such an "iron hoope"? For
> small-bore cannons (or hand-held firearms), I would imagine that a
> modern "washer" mounted onto a long pole and wrapped in a piece of cloth
> would do nicely for such a tool.

Hmmm.  Perhaps.   AFAIK, the usual tools are brushes and "swabs".
Typical small arms cleaning tools are brushes, "jags", mops, and the crappy
slotted patch holders.
Also, reading the original text, I'm envisioning an iron hoop that an oar is
held captive by, but then the washer is something that is attached to the PIN
that rotates or swivels, presumably in a wooden hole.

> I suspect that those devices are called "wipes" because they actually
> come into contact with the bullet.

That' I'm fairly certain is what must be avoided.
(here they call them baffles)

Finland apparently has an impressively knowledgeable staff of writers:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/highpow.html

"The blast baffle must have a perfectly symmetrical, coaxially aligned surface
and bore. It must be made of fairly tough steel, stainless steel or inconel. If
it is made of a soft material like copper, brass, titanium or aluminum, the
high-velocity impact from unburned grains of powder will peen the surfaces -
eventually reducing the size of the bore orifice to the point where
destabilizing bullet contact results.

.....  Larger internal clearances reduce the likelihood of baffle contact in the
event that the suppressor or barrel get slightly damaged or bent.
"

The bullet is supposed to slip past/through the wipes, but never touch them.
They are simply there to absorb the impact of, slow down, and cool the exiting
and expanding supersonic hot muzzle gasses.

If a washer's origin came from its purpose for deflecting force from a pin and
perhaps spreading out that force - allowing it "wash over" a larger area...   Or
it could have something more to do with the oar itself and naval terminology.
It's a shame there's probably no extant diagram of exactly what the original
item and assembly was.