POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent : Re: Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Mar 2018 12:25:01
Message: <web.5ab91e04ce96c6d1c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"stein" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I have a cone-like object as a Mesh2 object:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/5u1XC (picture)
> https://pastebin.com/aC5aQCg1 (textfile)
>
> and i would like to cut away the part which is positive in x and y. For this I
> am using an intersection with 3 boxes. The desired part is white, but not
> transparent.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/6htgs (picture)
> https://pastebin.com/q5fZnHqu (file with intersection)
>
> How do I force POVRay to look into the cone?

Very quickly - I would do what WP suggested, and make sure you have an inside
vector defined in your mesh.

After you do that, I'd do a few other things.

First, put your mesh into a separate include file.
(this will make your actual scene MUCH smaller and readable)
Second, get the min and max extents (I'll call them <X1, Y1, Z1> and <X2, Y2,
Z2> of your bounding box for the mesh.
then you can define your intersection with a box that's always the region you
want regardless of your scaling of the mesh:

box {<0, 0, Z1>, <X2, Y2, Z2>}

Lastly, give the box an rgbt transparent pigment, so that the pigment inherited
by the intersection face is transparent.

intersection{
     object {YourMesh}
     box {<0, 0, Z1>, <X2, Y2, Z2> pigment {rgbt 1}}
}