POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Right-click menu in Windows Explorer : Re: Right-click menu in Windows Explorer Server Time
1 May 2024 18:04:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Right-click menu in Windows Explorer
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Jan 2018 12:45:00
Message: <web.5a66221df442417a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Now when an instance is started, it presumably first looks around
> whether there already is a king of the hill, and only if such a king
> isn't there it will declare itself king. This leaves a small time window
> in which another instance looking for a king will see none, although one
> is already in the process of declaring itself king.

So when trying to open "3 or more" files (as Mike Horvath says), there's more of
a 'chance' that a king-of-the-hill has already been invoked earlier-- resulting
in the normal 'keep single instance' behavior.

I wonder if older *slower* processors (like a really old Windows 286 system!)
would show more consistent behavior re: the race conditions-- in other words,
more 'time' to check if there's a king of the hill already present. Or maybe
there would be more INconsistent behavior-- because the first instance of
POV-Ray would be loading so slowly? Actually, I would assume that the faster
the processor(s), the more chance there would be of race conditions showing
their ugly heads.