POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Real Clouds with Real Problems : Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Jan 2018 14:10:00
Message: <web.5a5ba9a091cbe459a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> I know this is a very long time ago thread, but if it can be responded I want to
> know what is the pattern (density) of the cloud.

For the cloud shape itself, I use turbulence (and its 'omega' value) in the
media's density statement, to get the broken-up wispy look; although,
Kontemplator's use of the granite pattern (and no turbulence) is an interesting
way to do it too. The correct amount of turbulence/omega is really an artistic
decision-- whatever looks pleasing. It's difficult to say what the 'correct'
cloud shape should be.

Kirk Andrews' clouds in his original image posts here look quite sophisticated--
probably a *combination* of media types (scattering and absorption, maybe) as
well as scattering media for the overall atmosphere, to cast light-shadow rays.
His clouds look like they are scaled smaller in the y-axis (in other words, the
original spherical cloud shape was squashed down slightly) to make them look
more realistic.

This code is for one of my own typical clouds-- although I usually change
*something* every time I make one!

--------------
sphere{0,1
hollow on