POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitcoin : Re: Bitcoin Server Time
24 May 2024 04:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitcoin
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Dec 2017 13:15:00
Message: <web.5a413fc6bae206ab89df8d30@news.povray.org>

> > Apparently, the computer computations that are required now consume something
> > like 1.7% (?) of the WORLD's total electrical energy production. That's insane.
> >

> Yes, see for instance:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/global-warming-massive-computer-centers-bad-for-the-environment-a-544053
.html

Wow. That's a real eye-opener (and written in 2008); I can't imagine things
being *better* now, only worse.

"Calculations have now been performed to determine the share of power
consumption that can be attributed to a single Google search. Depending on the
initial data, one Google search consumes enough electricity to run an 11-watt,
energy-saving lightbulb for 15 minutes to an hour. As long as Google refuses to
release numbers, such calculations will remain only a guessing game..."

I had no idea that such a seemingly innocuous thing could be so power-hungry. We
take it all for granted, without recognizing the true cost.