POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paul Stamets Interview : Re: Paul Stamets Interview Server Time
17 Jun 2024 10:02:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paul Stamets Interview
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Dec 2017 10:30:00
Message: <web.5a3298bdc1a4f7f2c437ac910@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> how could the Sirians tell the difference between intelligent and
> "instinctual" behaviour?

> > Slime molds are still blindly oozing through mazes millions of years later...
>
> which means /they/ manage.  :-)

Surviving does not imply intelligence, nor does extinction imply stupidity.

Noli turbare circulos meos!

I think you're stuck in a maze/trap of your own making.

One would expect intelligent visitors to be able to design an appropriate
experiment.

You don't take a slime mold and a monkey and put them in a featureless box.  You
give them things to do things with, and see what they do.

But that also leads into my earlier points of _ability_ to exercise your
intelligence in an environment vs simply being intelligent.

Put a computer programmer on a farm or in a coal mine.
I watched a scientist giving us a special seminar on advance nuclear magnetic
resonance spectroscopy have to go back home overseas because his wife had always
provided _everything_ for him, and he was incapable of really functioning on his
own.

How intelligent and capable is a baby vs a man?
How intelligent is a woman vs a man?   Can women do things that men can't, and
vice versa?

How intelligent is a quadriplegic?
Helen Keller?
Stephen Hawking?
An 80 yo Nobel Laureate?

Stop proposing, and expecting meaningful data and answers from - bad
experiments.