POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tartan : Re: Tartan Server Time
25 Jun 2024 21:57:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tartan
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Dec 2017 15:55:01
Message: <web.5a21c0c7e44026ffc437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> No, not a lot.
> Most people seem to think that the wearing of the tartan is restricted
> to only wearing the tartan of your own clan. But that is a modern
> concept, probably started by Walter Scott as he brown nosed up to George
> IV. People wore whatever took their fancy and to the depth of their pocket.

Good to know.
Next thing I know, you'll be telling me that Scotch tape wasn't invented to mend
broken liquor bottles...
How's this for modern:
http://www.tactikilt.com/

> The actor
> James McAvoy has commissioned his own McAvoy tartan which is a hoot as
> McAvoy is an Irish name not a Scottish one. The Irish kilt and bagpipe
> covering are plain cloth.
> It is a lot of hype but don't tell anyone I said that. Shush! ;-)

So, it's like the converse of this:
https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2017/03/13/mcdonalds-slammed-for-their-shamrock-shake-advertisement/21880853/

> > The evening tartan seems to bear some passing resemblance to the cookie company
> > packaging -

> Well it would be, it is an advertising ploy. Hoots man, Ye widnie expect
> anything else. There's money involved.

So true.
You'd think were California politicians or something.

> Anything that is called a cookie is by definition meh. ;-)

You clearly haven't seen the C is for cookie meme...

> > seem to have edged the stem ginger
> > cookies [yum!]
>
> Yum? don't you mean Yum, yum? :-)

Yum yum yum, in the non-Unix sense.  :D

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1MftCtIlg

Good grief, that takes me back - to like 1976 or so...
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dr-Hook-Rock-Pop-Music-Photo-Trading-Cards-Stickers-Match-Box-Label-Lot-of-4/263258695377?hash=
item3d4b70e6d1:g:U8AAAOSwhOdXpT1O

:O