POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Planet View : Re: Planet View Server Time
6 Jun 2024 05:34:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet View
From: omniverse
Date: 28 Nov 2017 13:00:00
Message: <web.5a1da36016ce21789c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> https://www.yahoo.com/news/astronaut-stops-view-during-spacewalk-072101129.html
>
> Because with all the people interested in modeling planets, it's always nice to
> have an actual view from space.

> https://www.yahoo.com/news/astronaut-stops-view-during-spacewalk-072101129.html
>
> Because with all the people interested in modeling planets, it's always nice to
> have an actual view from space.

That fisheye lens camera really makes it a good planet view!

Keep in mind Earth surface curvature as seen from ISS isn't as round as that, of
course.

From what I can find out, the horizon distance is about 1300 to 1400 miles away,
so that's approximately 5 1/2 times the ISS altitude. That should be enough to
see USA from coast to coast.

Imagine seeing the ground out to a distance of only 30 feet, as you stand atop a
perfectly round mound/rock 175 feet wide, almost 88 feet high (if you're 6'
tall, eyes at 5.5').

Hopefully I figured this right.

Our family lived next to Cape Canaveral during the Moon rocket era, and being at
the beach a lot I knew how ships appeared and disappeared over the ocean. I
loved watching the rockets travel up and away in the distance while thinking of
them going on around as they disappeared from sight in the sky, too far away to
see sink into the horizon.

I'm definitely not a "flat-earther", unlike some:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-hopes-prove-earth-flat-230622888.html