POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : orthographic camera and conic_sweep object : Re: orthographic camera and conic_sweep object Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:36:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: orthographic camera and conic_sweep object
From: Warren
Date: 7 Nov 2017 12:30:00
Message: <web.5a01ec7cc65a78b4ca73ee9d0@news.povray.org>
"Warren" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Am 06.11.2017 um 20:02 schrieb Warren:
> > > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> > [About Linux and povray setup ]

I did some research on my computer about the povray 3.7 binary and remembering
your message I get a result (in the Terminal) that doesn't match what you said
:-( ...

Here's the Terminal and the output of some command (I use Ubuntu 16.xx as Linux
only)

antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/bin$ ls -lArth
total 9,6M
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3,2M juin  25  2016 povray

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2,7M avril 29  2017 geomorph
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/bin$ which povray
/usr/local/bin/povray
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/bin$ which ls
/bin/ls
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/bin$ cd ..
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local$ ls
bin  Brother  etc  games  include  lib  man  sbin  share  src
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local$ cd share
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/share$ ls
Aria  ca-certificates  doc  emacs  fonts  geomorph  locale  man  povray-3.7
SFML  sgml  timidity  xml
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/share$ cd povray-3.7/
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/share/povray-3.7$ ls
icons  include  ini  scenes  scripts
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/share/povray-3.7$
--------------------end

As you can see there's a povray (3.7) binary in '/usr/local/bin/' and that
doesn't look to be a link file (the weight is about 3.2 Mo). I do have a
'povray-3.7/' directory in '/usr/local/share/' but there's no any binary file in
it.

The following input command in a Terminal show:
antoine@antoine-pcmapex:/usr/local/bin$ ./povray --version
POV-Ray 3.7.0.unofficial

This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Antoine FAURE
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2013 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
  Unsupported image formats: openexr

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++-5 5.3.1
  Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread

This is the binary I have compiled some time ago (Antoine FAURE)

I don't seem to have the custom directory for the different versions of POVRay
you're talking about...

And doing some search with : 'sudo find / -name "povray" -type f' only displayed
 the '/usr/local/bin' file