POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature? : Re: Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature? Server Time
1 May 2024 23:40:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Sep 2017 15:15:01
Message: <web.59cfec3f808cf402acfa72180@news.povray.org>
Aaaannd....
my initial instinct seems to be right.

Commenting out that equation for a sphere ... gets rid of the sphere.

No idea why they have that in there - r isn't redefined in any of the other
sections.

     #else
          #declare r2 = max (abs(r2), abs(Y));
          //#declare r = sqrt(X*X + Y*Y + Z*Z);  <<< comment out

 #end

I'd say if someone can recompile their source code with that one line edited
out, and see if the isosurface for that function works fine without it, then

"It's a bug".

(I think that my preceding post still has some valid points, because there's the
selection that takes place between r and r2 - and r2 is dependent on Thickness.
So although the sphere is a result of the redefinition of r, the value of r2
influences the appearance of that sphere.

Hope that makes some sense.