POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : True shape of VERTICAL rope curve : Re: True shape of VERTICAL rope curve Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True shape of VERTICAL rope curve
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Sep 2017 16:45:00
Message: <web.59c575af48fc8635c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Lasso ropes came to my mind, and I thought it might be a kind of sine wave with
> increasing amplitude and frequency.

I found plenty of lasso results in my search, but nothing that seemed to point
to the shape of the curved _upper_.

> But not knowing anything of the math for such a thing I search the 'net and
> found this (math shy people be warned!):

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/22268/shape-of-rotating-rope-lasso-problem

Well done, Bob!   :D
Having successfully wrestled with the catenary, I'll have to play with _this_ at
some point in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troposkein

[X] I learned something new today.