POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : True shape of VERTICAL rope curve : True shape of VERTICAL rope curve Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  True shape of VERTICAL rope curve
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Sep 2017 13:05:01
Message: <web.59c541d96f227fedc437ac910@news.povray.org>
I tried looking this up and I didn't see anything that addressed this:

Let's suppose you're holding one end of a freely hanging rope.
Then you start to give it some rotation by revolving the part you're holding
around the y-axis.
Get it going so that you're twirling it around (it will happen at a harmonic
frequency) and it curves outward [the free end likely crossing over the y-axis].

I was just idly wondering if the shape of that curve would be a catenary.
 ... and if it's the same curve that results from imparting a simple harmonic
motion to it in a plane while it's dangling freely.