POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Website : Re: New Website Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Website
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Sep 2017 20:00:01
Message: <web.59b5d0ef175f6d635cafe28e0@news.povray.org>

> > Well, I remember that I was able to do it back in 2000/2001, when I was working
> > on a project and wanted the automatic greyed-out behaviour. I had never even
> > heard of CSS back then - if it even existed.
> > It was a special something-html, and I just can't think of what it was off the
> > top of my head.
>
> It was probably a server-side feature, orthogonal to what flavor of HTML
> you were using.
>
> P.S.  Back in 2000/2001, there were versions of HTML that /could/ gray
> out links (HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.01 Transitional).  CSS was developed
> around 1997...

> Still, regardless of the state of the art, it was almost certainly not
> the job of the coding language to check links.  I think you just lucked
> out on a conscientious server provider.

I found the directory of files on an old backup CD, and the only non html
extension I see is shtml.  I believe the testing I was doing (using HTML as a
file-directory hierarchy navigating tool) was all local, so there was no "server
provider" - it was just my links to local documents or other local shtml pages.

Anyway.  That's what I was doing, and what I excavated from the archives.

Thanks for the feedback.
I hope you're OK after the hurricane, and things down there start to get back to
normal after what I'm sure was an _interesting_ storm.   :O