POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray Editors : Re: POV-Ray Editors Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:58:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Editors
From: Mr
Date: 28 Aug 2017 05:35:00
Message: <web.59a3e37d8045b5de16086ed00@news.povray.org>
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
> > The release candidate 2 of Blender 2.79 has our latest patch for POV syntax
> > highlighting in:
> >
> > https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/
> >
> > When you put your cursor next to a {} brace sign, it highlights in red the
> > corresponding pair of braces. Lanuhum and I added one more color than POVwin, so
> > "transforming" keywords are distinguished from objects, and in the same color
> > group as mathematical functions.
> > All this looks perfect for your need. And possibly of some others users.
> > I added a "run" operator to render a preview of edited text only regardless of
> > Blender 3D scene. Also note that another add-on exists that can enable
> > auto-completion and I successfully tried it with POV files.
>

> Thanks!
> This looks like something which is useful, and I'll have to see about installing
> it and trying it out.
>
> By the way:
> "Pov items can be anything but for now only the equivalent of Blender materials
> can be replaced with this method. In Povray, it is called texture {} don't get
> confused, it really includes all the material properties."
>
> Don't forget that POV-Ray also has an actual material{} directive...

I did not forget, but since the exporter doesn't make use of it, I decided to
keep things more simple in this explanation so as to not confuse Blender users
further (the developer page linked at the top of the wiki mentions it however)
The  problem goes much deeper than just differing terminologies.

In pov, the texture syntax is non standard as Blender's user interface used to
be before the rewrite ;-)
mostly, texture influences are not channelled in parallel user workflows
except for normal_map and image_map, ior are object related while they can be
texture related in Blender. etc.