POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Box blob object? : Re: Box blob object? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Box blob object?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Aug 2017 07:50:01
Message: <web.599430d4ba742d5fc437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > POV-Ray's blobs are indeed currently too limited to do that job. You'd
> > need to resort to isosurfaces for that purpose.
>
> Except an isosurface cube probably won't merge with a blob yet, will it?

I think he means the way to blob-together isosurface functions as described in
the docs  (2.3.3.3.6 Combining isosurface functions):

Apart from basic CSG you can also obtain smooth transits between the different
surfaces, for instance the blob object:
  #declare Blob_Threshold=0.01;

  isosurface {
    function {
      (1+Blob_Threshold)
      -pow(Blob_Threshold, fn_A(x,y,z))
      -pow(Blob_Threshold, fn_B(x,y,z))
    }
    max_gradient 4
    contained_by { box { -2, 2 } }
  }

The Blob_Threshold value influences the smoothness of the transit between the
shapes. A lower value leads to sharper edges, and it's function looks like:
function{fn_A(x,y,z) + pow(Blob_Threshold,(fn_B(x,y,z) + Strength))}