POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:34:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Ari
Date: 26 Jul 2017 01:20:00
Message: <web.5978257cd8d105e99d2528170@news.povray.org>
> Excellent.  It's important to stick with it and DO _something_, even if it's not
> ideal.  Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
That's true! Trying to be *perfect* is actually the culprit of my anxiety. After
I changed from *perfect mode* to *good mode*, I started to appreciate this
software. What a great invention :D.
> I like your results.
> Now you know more about how "the devil is in the DETAILS", and it's NEVER _just_
> "All you have to do is..."
>
> As a computer graphics trick, why don't you try increasing the size of all those
> rocks by 10, and then take the whole thing and scale it by 1/10.
> The apparent size of the rocks might stay the same, while the spaces between
> them that make them look like they're floating (because they are) might be
> reduced by 9/10.
That's cute :P. I think I will try it later.
> If that works, try doing the same with 100 or 1000 instead of 10.
>

> > I said at the beginning that it was not trivial. I wonder what your
> > lecturer's solution would be?
>
> If it's an engineering class, he might not have one - it might be an open-ended
> exercise to see what people come up with.
Yes, it is. :D

https://malbertsinvention.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/realistic-dry-stone-wall-physics-test/
> https://www.google.com/search?q=rocksolver
> https://www.google.com/search?q=robot+arm+stack+stones
They are some interesting examples, especially the robot one. The Rocksolver is
great, too! Thank you so much B-).