POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #debug message problem re: line breaks : Re: #debug message problem re: line breaks Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #debug message problem re: line breaks
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Jul 2017 18:45:00
Message: <web.596e85938dced37c883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 18.07.2017 um 14:29 schrieb Kenneth:

> > * TWO #debugs without the ending line breaks: only the FIRST message
> > shows up, not the second.
>
> Cannot confirm this one: They both shouldn't show up, and that's indeed
> what I'm seeing in experiments (things might be different if the length
> of both messages combined exceeds a certain length).

Just tried that example again-- with shorter versions of the #debugs--and the
1st message still shows up. However, all my examples had a *beginning* 'new
line'. But eliminating those--like the following example(s)--results in *none*
of the messages appearing...

#debug "A message."
#debug "Another message."
#debug "A third message."

Whereas this group shows the first message (only)...
#debug "\nA message."  // has a beginning 'new line'
#debug "Another message."
#debug "A third message."

This shows the first two messages...
#debug "\nA message."
#debug "Another message.\n"
#debug "A third message."

And the following results in all three messages appearing...
#debug "A message."
#debug "Another message."
#debug "A third message.\n" // has an ending 'new line'

Here's a quirky one; only the first message appears. (I thought the 2nd message
might appear as well, but no.)
#debug concat("\n","some constants =  <",str(30,1,2),", ",str(40,1,2),">")
#debug "\nA message."
#debug "Another message."
#debug "A third message."

Of course, I don't usually write #debugs this way, because the resulting
message(s) would all be jumbled together on the same line. But it further
illustrates the complexities of the issue. In the 'old days' (v3.5 and 3.6), I
was sometimes sloppy and left out the 'new line' syntax every now and then-- and
still saw all the messages, in some form or other. But now, it looks like I need
to pay more attention! ;-)

BTW, I haven't yet tried these examples by including typical intervening SDL
code, so I don't know if that affects the outcome.