POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clockless_Animation : Re: Clockless_Animation Server Time
15 May 2024 03:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clockless_Animation
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jun 2017 10:10:01
Message: <web.59565aa9992dfbe2c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
> experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
>
>     #persistent Foo = ...;
> This mechanism is also flexible enough to define the individual
> components of your animation's dynamic portion just once, and in the
> individual frames just rotate and translate them to their final
> orientation and location.

Aha.  So many things to experiment with, and it hadn't occurred to me that the
#persistent directive would be applicable to things other than "variables" -
though I suppose to a certain degree, everything is just an identifier with
"data" stuffed into that bin.
I can see Kenneth salivating now, rubbing his hands together, and getting the
42-cup coffee urn fired up for some very nice animations....   :D

> (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
> consecutive runs of a single-frame scene, or even different scenes; but
> that's more an unintended side effect of its implementation rather than
> deliberate, and may be subject to change. In essence, variables declared
> using `#persistent` are just never deleted as long as UberPOV is
> running. This may be subject to change.)

Hmmm.
And I suppose a way to undo that would be #ifdef() and then #undef().