POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
17 May 2024 19:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Jun 2017 16:55:00
Message: <web.59498b72d8d105e9c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Ari" <win### [at] yahoocomhk> wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
> I have been spending time searching on the internet and reading your guys'
> information. However, I realized almost all of them required "some mathematical
> background", especially Voronoi Diagram being shown the most frequently. I try
> my best to understand them but I can't due to the lack of Maths background(I
> only know some integration/sequence and differentiation from classes :( ). I
> then try to work with an external program but I don't how to make use of it
> well. (I installed the pyvoro in Python) So, I just went back to the basic now.
> ( Damn, I am stupid! Just want to cry in a corner)

I think you'll be fine.
A lot of stuff was thrown at you all at once.
Voronoi / Delaunay is NOT an easy thing to do from scratch - which is why Sam
Benge used an external program to generate his data set.
Pov-ray's crackle pattern is essentially a Voronoi diagram, and you can use it
to make a pattern, or pass it to an isosurface as a function, to get "real 3d"
shapes.
I'd start with the spheres like you're doing, and then you can get a working
scene, and practice with POV-Ray's SDL syntax, and programming logic.

No worries - it'll be ok   ;)