POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
17 May 2024 00:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Jun 2017 10:10:01
Message: <web.5947db01d8d105e9c437ac910@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> I, too, use a Java program to position grains. I found SDL to be
> hideously slow when doing a 1600 x 1600 loop. ;)
> http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttfo0177.png

It's always helpful when expediency is the goal -  to recognize the practical
solutions and take the path of least resistance.

> I love Sam's idea; pick a position and then alter the blob's shape and
> size to fit the position.

Yes, that's an interesting idea - well worth looking into to see how difficult
that would be to do well.

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/273284325_fig7_Figure-7-An-example-of-a-Voronoi-diagram-in-Laguerre-geometry-for-a-
set-of-multi-sized

Where the spaces and centers are well defined, and then the sphere radii could
be easily computed.  That would get one far along the path.  Although I think
that the appropriate crackle metric and offset settings would get it all done
lickety-split.