POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is Kaspersky Labs software a cyber threat? : Is Kaspersky Labs software a cyber threat? Server Time
16 Jun 2024 06:50:45 EDT (-0400)
  Is Kaspersky Labs software a cyber threat?
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 May 2017 21:50:00
Message: <web.591513e4ff2bba6a883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Kaspersky Labs is a well-respected Russian company that makes malware-detection
software used all over the world... or it *was* well-respected, until recently.
I don't have any of their products on my computer, but I've thought about doing
so.

There was a news item sometime over the last couple of months that the Russian
government *arrested* the owner(?) of Kaspersky Labs. I don't know any of the
details about this, or what has happened to the company since then.

Over the last couple of days, the US Senate has been holding 'hearings' about
Russian cyber-warfare, possible collusion between the Trump election process and
the Russians, etc. One of the topics that has emerged concerns Kaspersky Labs--
that its software might be a threat to the US(!) In today's Senate hearings, a
Senator specifically asked the invited leaders of all of the government's
intelligence services if they would feel comfortable using Kaspersky Lab's
software on their own computers. The answer from every member was a resounding
"NO".

This seems like a strange development. So far, I haven't been able to determine
if this perceived threat is based on *facts*, or if it is just typical US
'political grand-standing', based on some kind of ill-defined *fear*.

Does anyone know the facts behind this development?