POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation : Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:09:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation
From: omniverse
Date: 9 Apr 2017 03:35:00
Message: <web.58e9e3f63f18d4cf9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I don't know if this is specific to the Windows platform, but there's a small
> > error in the v3.7.1 beta 5 documentation, as well as on the current wiki page at
> >
> > http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options
> >
> >  re: Output_File_Name. I think the docs' errors have been there for awhile,
> > actually.
> >
> > In Windows, if I want to specify my own folder location for output renders, I
> > have to write it like this-- with double quotes at beginning and end--
> >
> > Output_File_Name="C:\Users\Computer\Documents\Kens POV-Ray rendered IMAGES\"
> >
> > The documentation doesn't mention those double quotes. Leaving them out causes a
> > (non-fatal) render error, but the image isn't written to a file (as far as I can
> > tell.)
> >
> > The Windows-specific included documentation doesn't mention this either, at
> > 1.4.7 The Render Window.
>
> It is not required as long as the name does not include spaces. This has been
> the case since 3.6 iirc. I am pretty sure it was documented somewhere in the
> command line reference section. If I had to guess, it would be in the
> introductory section of the command line reference...

I had to go looking for it but it is there. Can be found in section 2.2.8.2 at
very end. Here's that portion:

If a file or path contains blanks the whole file and path specification has to
be put in quotes. You may either use a double-quote or a single-quote, but you
have to use the same at the beginning and end. For example:
 +I"my file.pov"
 +I'my file.pov'
 Input_File="my file.pov"
 Input_File='my file.pov'

By using either single or double quotes it is possible to specify files whose
name or path contains either as part of the name. For example:
 +I"file's.pov"
 +I'my "big" file.pov'
 Input_File="file's.pov"
 Input_File='my "big" file.pov'

Might not be the most obvious place unless looking for it there, since this is
under the (POV-Ray for Windows help) POV-Ray Tutorial > Getting Started >
Setting POV-Ray Options > Using INI Files

Guess I just thought the quoting was mentioned in the Reference > Command-Line
and INI Options

Found another mention about quoting, end of section 1.3.2 Special Command-Line
Options and highlighted:

Note: When supplying a filename with spaces in it, you will need to enclose the
filename itself within quotes.