POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ? : Re: Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ? Server Time
16 Jun 2024 09:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ?
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Apr 2017 06:35:00
Message: <web.58e375deeb7be588883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
I'm thinking of 'freelance' work: If an employer is a reasonably smart person,
and you have a *good* visual resume or porfolio to show, of images that you've
created, I would guess that your SDL coding skills would be a secondary
consideration-- meaning, the employer would be more interested in your visual
skills and creativity, and not so much interested in which piece of software you
use. POV-Ray can produce some stunning images (and animations) that are equal to
what the best commercial software can produce. And perhaps your SDL coding
skills might actually be impressive to an employer, who is probably used to
interviewing people who simply 'choose a menu item' to produce something with
standard imaging software.

Creating interesting images for magazine covers (like Scientific American
magazine, for example) might be one choice to pursue.