POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit : Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Mar 2017 23:50:00
Message: <web.58d1f4366757610f883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> There are multiple different things in play here:
>

> [A] 64-bit vs. 32-bit vs. 16-bit. This is primarily a CPU thing.
>
> A x86-64 CPU can run in one of various different modes:
>
> (1) A 16-bit single-tasking mode.
> (2) A 16-bit multitasking OS mode.
> (3) A 32-bit multitasking OS mode.
> (4) A 64-bit multitasking OS mode (AMD64).
>
> Mode (2) includes an emulation of (1).
> Mode (3) includes emulations of both (1) and (2).
> Mode (4) includes only an emulation of (3).
>
> Thus, any operating system designed to run 64-bit applications is
> fundamentally unable to run 16-bit applications, except via software
> emulation. Running 32-bit applications, on the other hand, is a piece of
> cake.

[clip]

Although I was able to glean *some* of this info from my MANY mind-numbing
researches (while my eyes glazed over), you've managed to condense it all into a
form that's actually understandable. Thanks! The 'net is great for doing
research on arcane technical topics-- but sometimes it's difficult to 'connect
all the dots.'

> For example, some programs designed for Windows XP or earlier would
> expect to have write access to the directory in which the program's
> binaries were installed, which Windows 7 no longer allows.

It seems that my Photoshop app *is* actually able to save *some* of my
operational info back to disk-- into its 'preferences' file (or wherever)--
things like my tool settings, so that I don't have to keep re-setting them when
I re-start the app. And I haven't yet seen any pop-up dialogue boxes, warning me
that PS can't save my preferences when I shut it down. (Which I've seen before
IIRC, on my old WinXP box, under odd circumstances.)