POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit : Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:09:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Mar 2017 23:25:00
Message: <web.58d1ee066757610f883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> Only the 64-bit versions of Windows XP/7/8/10 can't run 16-bit programs.
> The 32-bit versions of these operating systems should be able to run
> them fine. (Barring any other unrelated issues...)

Yeah, I *eventually* discovered that this was the case. My older Win XP computer
came installed with a 32-bit OS (even though the machine itself had an AMD
64-bit processor.) But I never installed 64-bit Windows on it, so I never had to
deal with incorrect installers or 'compatibility mode' crap, until now.

> I think the installer is specific to the application you're trying to
> install. Happened to me too with some older Win95 video games. I don't
> think you can use it to install other programs.

Seems to be the case. I still have a few older apps that I would *like* to
re-install-- but if every app uses its own *very particular* installer, either
I'll give up on the idea, or else spend the next YEAR trying to hunt down the
correct 32-bit installers!!

> A lot of older programs work well without using compatibility mode. It
> might not have been necessary in your case. I can't remember if I've
> ever needed to use it or not.

I'm still a bit fuzzy about which programs need compatibility mode, and which
don't. And why. Hopefully, I can get some clear answers with enough research.
Now that the Photoshop trick worked, I *really* want to find out more. Pity the
poor *typical* computer user who wouldn't even know where to look, or what to
look for! (Or maybe wouldn't even care!!)