POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDR photography : Re: HDR photography Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:07:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDR photography
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Jan 2017 15:05:00
Message: <web.5887b2deecff8f52883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> ...I have been experimenting now with the
> Fusion F1 application (http://fusion-hdr.com/home) to make HDR
> composites.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

Several years ago, I tried writing a POV_Ray scene to *try* and do my own
image-blending and tone-mapping, from three or more camera exposures (all just
JPEG images, naturally.) The code basically used the trace function and
eval_pigment, to simply compare brightness levels (and maybe color saturation)
of each image's pixels, then to choose which pixel looked... 'better.' (Ha.)
Although the *method* worked, the results were... not as good as I had hoped.
:-(  No surprise there-- my method wasn't very sophisticated (to say the least!)
One thing (among many) that I neglected to take into account was the 'local
contrast' between a pixel and its surrounding pixels. If I understand
tone-mapping at all, this local-contrast idea is an important one.

Oh well, it was worth a try!