POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Treat a mesh as an isofunction : Treat a mesh as an isofunction Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:02:39 EDT (-0400)
  Treat a mesh as an isofunction
From: SecondCup
Date: 29 Sep 2016 15:30:01
Message: <web.57ed6aa5190b26257f17efbc0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to treat a mesh2 as an isosurface. I'm pretty
new to pov-ray (some will notice my regular contribution to the 'newusers'
forum) so still figuring out a lot of the stuff. This one might be straight
forward.

I have a mesh2 file of something that looks like a few pancakes layered on top
of one another. This was created using Accutrans that converted my
wireframe/solid/whatever-ya-wanna-call-it.dxf into a .pov file (version 3.5).
I want to make these pancake type surfaces look like they are stone, or a
roughly chiseled piece of rock.

Looking around online, I found an excellent rendering of a sandstone by PM 2Ring
on this site. The wrinkly patterns and depth of the bumps are perfect for what I
am looking for. Is it possible to make my pancake-type-thingy.pov have the same
texture as the sandstone in PM 2Ring's code?

He uses functions and isosurfaces that I'm still trying to get my head around,
is there someone out there who can tell me if they are mergeable?

Attached are both codes...You'll notice I have been able to incorporate the
colours into my file.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'forum.zip' (21 KB)