POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interview question : Re: Interview question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interview question
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Aug 2016 17:50:00
Message: <web.57b77e8d4a19223a5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> And *this* is the root of all the problems. This idea that you can just
> "make it sooner" by writing a different date on a piece of paper.
> Because that isn't how the world works.
>
> It takes time to do things. You can admit that it will take time, and
> plan accordingly. Or you can pretend that it won't take time, and
> pretend that it will be finished by date X. But it will *still* won't
> actually be finished until date Y, no matter what you write on that bit
> of paper.
>
> The whole point of planning is to *predict* when the work will be done.
> You do a series of calculations to estimate how long it will take, so
> that everyone around you can plan for that. Artificially changing the
> carefully estimated prediction won't make the work happen any faster. :-P
>
> I used to assume that this kind of brokenness only happens at the
> amateur company that *I* work for. Alarmingly, this appears to not be
> the case. This raises the question HOW DOES ANYTHING EVER WORK?! >_<

Because the real Atlases of the world never shrug.
And the Boxers on Orwell's animal farm never stop working.

<political post>

And now you just need to extend that logic to politics and the magic markings
that politicians make on their magic paper to alter reality inside of their
magic lines.

Abracadabra!  We now have money out of thin air, can create prosperity by
astronomical taxing and spending, "create jobs", "raise the minimum wage",
declare that pi = 3.0, and stop people from stealing, killing, reading the wrong
things, thinking the wrong things, saying the wrong things, owning the wrong
items, associating with the wrong people, listening to the wrong music, eating
the wrong foods, looking at the wrong pictures, using the wrong medications,
worshiping the wrong cult leader, or do absolutely anything without their holy
permission.

Be thankful that not meeting the imaginary deadline doesn't land you in a little
concrete box.

</political post>