POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy SciFi Crap! : Re: Holy SciFi Crap! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy SciFi Crap!
From: omniverse
Date: 2 Aug 2016 13:40:00
Message: <web.57a0d7f9eb59c840b1933f770@news.povray.org>
Worst thing for me about SciFi movies is the obligatory inclusion of romance, if
that's the right word to use.

The idea of romance, circa 13th century, was originally about adventures of
knights and their heroics, so I'm not sure who to blame on the later meaning.

Although movies like Metropolis (a favorite of mine) and Forbidden Planet
probably couldn't exist without the romance side. The latter I could imagine
possible without, I guess.

I went to see Star Trek Beyond last week and of course immediately there was the
Spock and Uhura thing going on. I'm used to ignoring the romance factor, but it
was an integral part of the story so ignoring that was impossible. Especially
when I heard whimpering cries from a young girl behind me during the rescue of
Uhura by Spock.

The Day The Earth Stood Still also a classic to me yet so close to being bad
just because of the woman meets alien idea there. Well, more so because there
was another man in her life to begin with. Ugh. The remake really lost me in
that regard and so I was depending on the special effects to balance it out.
Whereas special effects were only rudimentary in the original.

Seriously though, it's as if every movie must be made with a relationship in it.
Not what I'm thinking concerning science fiction.

There was an old SciFi movie The Monolith Monsters about rocks growing out of
control after a meteor hit, now that really had my interest as a kid because of
a more realistic idea of bizarre interactions between space rocks and Earth.
Very plausible to me.

And another movie of the same time, The Blob was likewise of interest for that
reason. The boyfriend+girlfriend relationship in that wasn't anything to me but
maybe it was meant to be crucial for the humanity against monster thing. I
believe it was overshadowed by it being a whole town instead of their
relationship, or "romance".

2001: A Space Odyssey really set aside any romantic notions for that story, not
quite so for the sequel 2010.

Obviously I expect movie genres to stay true to their status, SciFi being only
science and fiction, and unfortunately Metropolis probably didn't help divide
out the current concept of romance.

Another movie, Andromeda Strain was very sterile. Pardon the pun!