POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : it's that time again! : Re: it's that time again! Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:55:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it's that time again!
From: nemesis
Date: 23 May 2016 18:10:01
Message: <web.57437f9c2a85c2d422d35bb0@news.povray.org>
> On 17/05/2016 07:07 PM, clipka wrote:
> > I hate how DOF is applied in games. Something about it makes it look
> > totally unrealistic. Don't know if that's due to some subtle artifact of
> > the fakery behind it, or just that it is totally exaggerated.
>
> I haven't seen an example of this. (Most games just don't have a DoF
> effect at all.) But presumably those that do, are simply faking it by
> applying a Gaussian blur to objects a certain distance away. Which isn't
> how real DoF works...

I applying DOF myself in this shot, pausing the action and freely controlling
the camera:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtf1/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13268250_1728775957406878_2698799888800070
23_o.jpg

it's the usual zbuffer DOF from scanline, doesn't even employ bokeh but it's
enough for gameplay, like when aiming the gun.  I passed by this character and
saw the beautiful lighting all over her and had to take a pic...