POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Orchid : Orchid Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:03:42 EDT (-0400)
  Orchid
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 18 May 2016 17:55:01
Message: <web.573ce3ca5d691d6ffd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
Because I know you're both a camera guy and a math guy.

I was perusing this site:
http://davetrott.com/inventions/double-arm-barn-door-drive/

and came across a funny (read: strange) computation: 3 + 2**1/3 which google
tells me is the same as 3 + 2^(1/3), except that the website (referencing a
magazine article from almost 30 years ago) says is equal to 6.464, which is
blatantly wrong unless they're doing something completely different with that
double asterisk.

This is why I'm going to have a LaTeX script on my website, when I finally get
around to working on it seriously...

anyway, I was hoping you might be able to unravel this conundrum for me.  Not
that I'm likely to be building one of these things, as I haven't got anything
resembling a workshop.

Rather unfortunate, as I have an interest in astrophotography.

Regards,
A.D.B.