POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : output control questions : Re: output control questions Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output control questions
From: Matt Busche
Date: 28 Mar 2016 13:50:01
Message: <web.56f96de4128bf5c561e35a3c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 3/28/2016 4:08 PM, Matt Busche wrote:
> > povray +Icube.pov +H750 > cube.png
> > povray -D +Idice_usage_examples.pov +w384 +h216
> >
> > For the first file, the rendered png image is sent to standard out, but for the
> > other it's sent automatically to a file with the same name as the input file
> > (ending in .png instead of .pov).
> >
> >    1) Why the difference?  Is there some setting in one of the two .pov source
> > files that's governing this behavior that I haven't noticed?
>
> A quick reply.
>
> The second line uses the default output name. In the first line, you
> specified what name PovRay should output.
>
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

After fiddling around a bit more, I think I've discovered what's actually
happening.

I think in the first case, ncurses output, which is consistently being sent to
stdout in both cases, is indeed being written to cube.png (which is obiously not
what I want); and then at the end of rendering, the in-core png image is then
written to cube.png overwriting the previously written ncurses content of the
file making it disappear into the magician's hat.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Matt