POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
3 May 2024 08:43:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Clodo
Date: 7 Mar 2016 14:35:00
Message: <web.56ddd767976329954e8811590@news.povray.org>
> Thanks for testing. First, am I correct that the top/bottom vs
> left/right in the stereo VR world refers to the placement of the left
> and right eye images and not to the intended orientation for head
> movement? Think the answer is yes, but want to be sure.

Yes.

Stephen is right, but actually side-by-side are the most frequently used format
even with progressive.

Some 3D video out there (separate image for each eyes, not anaglyph of course)
are builded
with left eye on top and right eye on bottom (generally called top-bottom or
up-down),
other with left eye on left and right eye on right (generally called
side-by-side).

I think there are only 'human' reason about it, no any scientific/optimized
reason, also because are almost all progressive.
There are a mixed use and not a de-facto standard. Any video player have options
about switching format.

The headset are physically side-by-side of course,
people capture footage from headset and publish it on YouTube (random example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7q3mY0iNOQ)
other people view them and think side-by-side it's a more "natural" format for
3D videos.
Capturing hardware, like GoPro 3D, have lens side-by side, and it's more
"natural" view the captured footage in the same format.

Major headache, video and image don't store this kind of information, and it
can't be detected easy.
For example, Oculus (major market player of VR headset) ask people to provide a
..txt file with the same name of the video, with inside a JSON about the format.
Docs:
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/205453088-Watching-your-videos-in-Oculus-Video
in other docs say it's better to append a suffix _TB or _LR to the filename:
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/204401983-Viewing-Your-360-videos-in-Oculus-Video-

Personally, i prefer top/bottom.
In panorama it's more frequently that user look around horizontally, not
vertically, so an aspect-ratio with more width and less height it's better imho.
And, for comodity, i put images top/bottom to obtain an almost square image more
friendly for thumbnail preview.

Bill, i will reply as soon i understand well your message. Thanks for your
patience.