POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
2 May 2024 08:54:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Clodo
Date: 6 Mar 2016 16:45:00
Message: <web.56dca3b9976329954e8811590@news.povray.org>
> Would you please render, view and
> let us know if the result OK or not?

Your .pov in attachment, rendered with square 2048x2048 resolution:
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/5f9811c6314aefa13bc7f619424fd0537f2b9483.png

Rotate 90 CW with an external image:
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/ec5b3235955cef0cbab6707b4a54259dcbd111dc.png

and played in VR headset (spherical environment, stereo top/bottom) look almost
ok in front view, but
looking vertically up, there are issue:
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/252fbce0fdc3188a7e1a2fedd7da7ba75e0471bc.jpg
look the "leg" of the X, it's deformed and inverted between eyes.

Sorry but it's difficult to understand if the 3D effect is correct in your
example, and i'm fail to render other scenes.
I took the "spherical.pov" sample from Povray distribution.
standard camera{spherical} render (2048x2048):
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/4ecb53b74a7ffdb39369f14fd2664aeb7c6aa817.png
Simply comment the camera, adding your code (final .pov on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/ajyHzH1E )
render:
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/69f31e143d340ce078a07a349108b0466271b868.png

Also my scene with your mesh camera render totally unexpected big pixels:
http://www.clodo.it/host/images/160d46699c5da84daa11d06362b36856173497a7.jpg

All tests rendered with version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64, the official stable.

--------------------------------
In the mean-time, i compiled the patch of Paul Bourke
http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/povcameras/
with old PovRay 3.6.1 sources, with my scene with floating spheres,
settings zero-parallax far away (1000), IPD 0.065 and test in with VR headset.
For me, it's perfect, projection, scale and 3D effect.

I still have issue to porting it to POV-Ray 3.7, i don't know how to convert
VLinComb3, Ray->Initial etc.

The new function-based user-defined camera available in 3.7.1 alpha look
interesting, but i'm totally newbie about using it to render a spherical stereo.