POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:40:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Clodo
Date: 4 Mar 2016 21:05:00
Message: <web.56da3e6d976329954e8811590@news.povray.org>
I try to build two camera{spherical} image, left and right, simply by translate
on X axis the camera{location} by -0.065/2 and +0.065/2. And of course copy both
image in a single image.
On Oculus DK2 VR headset the 3D look nice, but only in front. Looking to left or
right have 3D effect wrong, looking bottom is messed up. I can't explain it
better. So, it's not so simple.

I done some research, and i discover this page:
http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/povcameras/ that include a specific
"Stereoscopic spherical projection".
Source code changes are for PovRay 3.6.1.
I download latest PovRay 3.7 from GitHub, upgrading and compiling with Visual
Studio 2015. All ok.
I started adapting the patch, parser & tokenizer seem easy, but the patch alter
a "render.cpp" file that now it's called "tracepixel.cpp", and unfortunately the
patch
use a lot of function that i don't have knowledge about adapt it (VLinComb3,
VAddScaled, Frame.Screen_Width etc.).

Sorry but i still not understand why your talking about a Mesh projection, i
simply don't have some background knowledge.

I'm asking myself if the render approach of Paul Bourke described in the above
link can produce a similar render or equal render of ODS.

I will try to download PovRay 3.6.1 and reapply the patch to test it.