POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation : Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation Server Time
1 May 2024 07:43:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Mar 2016 16:25:00
Message: <web.56d9fc6ba405651b5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> One of the problems might be that we do not have calibration data for
> the sensors.

I think it's just a matter of displaying the data that's available.

> I rendered it as triangles in a mesh. The points are not planer. You
> could use a statistical formula to make them sit on a plane.

I think it's all Y data - the X and z coordinates I derived from the diagram
that was provided.  I just connected the perimeter points to get a few
triangles, and it looks _OK_ - it would be better with smooth triangles, but I'm
unsure exactly how to calculate the corner normals.

> You step through the data using the clock or frame_number variables.

I used frame number - worked fine
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Cweb.56d9fbdd155fef445e7df57c0%40news.povray.org%3E/

> Talking about the data. I don't understand the time stamp. Five second
> intervals, that's quite slow, is it not? And what are the units of the
> sensors?

Maybe it's a geologic plate ...  ;)
Could be they meant milliseconds or something.

> The long time interval makes me think that using splines is not the way
> to go.

Just normalize the time stamp to the interval 0-1 by dividing them all by 490,
although I don't think the spline is limited by the numbers.