POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Blobs: Error 1: Negative Values: Holes! / Error 2: Alpha Value Overwriting? : Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting? Server Time
1 May 2024 22:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Dec 2015 12:35:01
Message: <web.56802122483525e5ac6323910@news.povray.org>
> Am 27.12.2015 um 15:42 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> > Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> >>  Also, my free hard drive
> >> space shrinks down each time.
> >
> > Micro$haft appears to assume that we all have unlimited storage.
>
> We're talking about software intended for developers there, not for "us
> all".

Developer tools or not, Micro$haft software consumes storage, and its documents
consume storage, in ever increasing amounts.  Back in the '90s, my job required
us to give brief weekly reports, and we discovered that our two-sentence
documents were 50 KB.  Turns out that M$ Word's "quick save" feature just
appended your edits to the end of the document, so it just kept growing no
matter what.  And their HTML converter produced documents with 15 times as much
markup as actual content.

I don't know is this is still true, because I haven't used their end-user
software in years.  But more recently, I learned that their system updates leave
the old code behind indefinitely, causing the OS to grow by gigabytes over the
years.

I am convinced that Microsoft is in cahoots with the hardware manufacturers to
keep us buying new shit.