POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Most Needed: New Shape: Human : Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human Server Time
3 May 2024 12:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human
From: clipka
Date: 16 Dec 2015 09:15:01
Message: <web.567171acf0fb6f09ad6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I once again want to suggest to the shape developers of POV-Ray, to add
> the following new shape to the POV-Ray shape collection:
>
> HUMAN
>
> This shape would greatly serve as reference to countless scenes. And
> this shape could be manipulated the following way: The human statement
> creates a human shape standing at the coordinates < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 > and
> towering along the Y axis, the body facing the same direction as an
> "image_map". There are a few body modifications possible. The syntax is:
>
> human
> {
>  Body_height
>  [waist_angle WAIST_ANGLE] [head_angle HEAD_ANGLE]
>  [face_action FACE_ACTION] [body_action BODY_ACTION]
>  [OBJECT_MODIFIERS...]
> }

If you can provide us with mathematical formulae and/or algorithms to test...

(1) whether a given point is inside the "human",

(2) where (if at all) a ray from a given origin in a given direction intersects
the surface of the "human", and

(3) what the surface orientation is at that intersection

then we might consider this proposal for a new inbuilt geometric shape.

Until then, we must conclude that implementation of "human" as a dedicated
geometric primitive in the rendering engine is impossible, and that the shape
must instead be implemented using the existing geometric primitives and/or CSG.

In that case, implementing the shape as a macro is just about as good as
implementing it in the parser, and your call might as well go out to the entire
POV-Ray community, rather than the POV-Ray dev team; as a matter of fact, I dare
say the community members tend to have better modelling skills than the members
of the dev team.

It might be worth noting that some members of the community have already
successfully created blob- and/or CSG-based human shapes, and might be willing
to share their work provided they get due credit, while others are successfully
using DAZ studio and/or Poser in combination with PoseRay for this purpose.