POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : declaring a new texture with a macro : Re: declaring a new texture with a macro Server Time
4 May 2024 02:35:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: declaring a new texture with a macro
From: Warren
Date: 1 Dec 2015 14:05:01
Message: <web.565dee2e4f56292ca73f5e290@news.povray.org>

> It's quite apparent to me at this point that /something/ is fishy about
> the POV-Ray binary you're using on your laptop.
>
> This immediately raises the following questions:
>
> - Do any of the sample scenes render properly on your laptop?
>
> - What does "povray --version" output on the two Ubuntu computers?
>
> - What versions of Ubuntu are you using on the two machines?
>
> My current best bet is that you're using a different version of POV-Ray
> on the laptop machine, and that there's some bug in that version. If
> that is the case, I'd really like to get down to the bottom of it.

Hi,
On the desktop PC in the terminal after a "povray --version" I get :
antoine@PCMapex:~$ povray --version
POV-Ray 3.7.0.unofficial

This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Antoine FAURE (that's me :) )
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2013 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
  Unsupported image formats: openexr

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++ 4.8
  Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread

whereas on the laptop it gives :
antoine@antoine-Presario-V6000:~$ povray --version

 Felix Geyer <deb### [at] ubuntucom> for Debian <www.debian.org>
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2013 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
  Unsupported image formats: -

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++ 4.8
  Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -O3 -pthread
antoine@antoine-Presario-V6000:~$

And yes, on the laptop I installed povray via the depots "trusty backports"
whereas on the desktop PC I compiled the sources I download on www.povray.org.