POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical Support : Re: Technical Support Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:49:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical Support
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 10 Sep 2015 11:35:01
Message: <web.55f1a2dcba176240b426f96a0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> Well, obviously, the solution is to replace the hard drive, but then the laptop
> is a brick until I install an OS.  She's not savvy enough to use linux, more's
> the pity, and a new copy of windows costs an arm and a leg.  But hey, I should
> be able to call Fujitsu and have them send me a recovery disk (Why this isn't
> included with the laptop in the first place is absolutely incomprehensible).

I never got a recovery disk with my laptop, but with the newer versions of
Windows you can perform a 'restore' or 'recover', which is like reinstalling
Windows altogether. If you like your files, you can keep your files (except the
ones outside your user folder, and possibly some of the ones inside).

Too bad a user can't just gift Windows to another... Linux is sounding like a
better idea all the time.

On a somewhat related note, would anything bad happen if you run your laptop
without a component? (hard drive, LAN card, etc.)