POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer woes : Re: Computer woes Server Time
19 Jul 2024 20:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer woes
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Aug 2015 21:40:05
Message: <web.55c0172fedf66be65e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
This may not be a viable option for you - but I get to visit metal recyclers
periodically, and they have Pallets - mountains of them - filled with discarded
keyboards, etc.   If you have a local recycler anywhere, you could grab 10 of
them for what they get for scrap, which isn't much because it's mostly plastic.

If you deal with hardware, they're a great place to visit, since they have
unbelievable quantities of "old" computers, hard drives, memory, USB devices,
keyboards, monitors, cell phones and batteries, cables - you name it.  And you
buy it by the ... SHIFT-3.

With regard to keys and keyboard layouts, I had a minor struggle with getting
the right keyboard setup on a Raspberry Pi recently, but doing enough research
finally ironed that all out.

I have a Dell SK-8135 that I picked out of a scrap heap - it had some dirt and a
few sticky keys, but it works flawlessly.  The integral volume knob only works
on my MS Surface in one direction - which is apparently an issue with this
keyboard and many OSs.   [Note the stylistic correctness of my omission of the
apostrophe.]