POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.7, second attempt : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7, second attempt Server Time
29 Apr 2024 11:34:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7, second attempt
From: green
Date: 26 Jul 2015 14:00:01
Message: <web.55b51f8830d76883373e22480@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?B?IkrDtnJnIFwiWWFkZ2FyXCIgQmxlaW1hbm4i?= <yazdegird@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 26.07.2015 14:40, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> > LIBS="-lboost_system
> > - -lboost_thread"
>
> Even worse:
>
> Environment
> -----------
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking whether $C_INCLUDE_PATH contains the "." path... no
> checking whether $CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH contains the "." path... no
>
> Programs
> --------
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/media/Raytracing/povray-3.7-stable':
> See `config.log' for more details
> configure: WARNING: cache variable ac_cv_env_LIBS_value contains a newline
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

i hate linux and i know nothing about it, but i needed to 'do stuff' with
linux povray so i had to compile it on four different machines (two identical,
well, mostly) recently.  your problems look disgustingly familiar to me.  the
following is more advice than directions but maybe it will give you an idea
for a new course.
  this is for xubuntu 14.04

it looks like you did, or did not need, the automake --add-missing step.

i found the directions to add libboost to be inadequate; for me using synaptic
to add libboost1.55-all-dev fixed whatever it was that was ailing; it might
have been, i am pretty sure i remember this, well i think i remember this, or
maybe i dreamed it, gcc did not have sufficient c++ junk/whatever.  the last
time i compiled, four days ago, i just added it fairly early in the hair-
-pulling process and compilation was almost painless.  the 'make' step was snafu
but when i retried it, it worked.  go figure.

my configure line finally ended up being
../configure COMPILED_BY="whatever..." --with-boost-thread=boost_thread
LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"
i got there by carefully comparing various recommendations and then typing like
a monkey, randomly.

linux is a p.o.s.  i am trying to get that distributed dealy, httpov, to work,
well nominally trying, right now trying not to think about it, it is proving
to be a steeper hill than compilation.
  i hate linux.  it is 17% faster than winxp64 and 25% faster than winxp32 on
my three lesser machines (not as much faster on the best one) but i still
hate it.  user hostile!