POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser : Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 24 Jul 2015 15:10:00
Message: <web.55b28cf0dee5de4ab426f96a0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> An unbiased* global illumination ray tracer running in your web browser,
> with a max_trace_depth of 8 and support for shiny, diffuse, transparent
> and checkered spheres.

Excellent!

> What more do you want!

Um... how about full support for POV-Ray's SDL? jk ;D

> Disclaimer: It works on my machine (Chrome, Win7, nVidia GTX970) but
> I've not tested it on any other machine.

It works on my laptop (hardware is two AMD A6-4400M APU 2.7 GHz processors w/
integrated Radeon HD 7520G GPUs [not particularly bragworthy]) using Firefox
(see attachment). IE couldn't initialize shader1, but it did display the samples
counter.

> After creating the standalone html5 page for blobs thread above, I
> realised it would allow me to do something shadertoy doesn't - that is,
> reuse results from a previous calculation in the next frame.

I'll have to look into reusing samples again. My sole attempt used a 32 bit RGBA
texture (unsigned 8 bpp), but it never converged into an acceptably noise-free
result. I figured if I used a higher bit depth I might get better results.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ffss-cropped.png' (154 KB)

Preview of image 'ffss-cropped.png'